Sunday, June 29, 2008

IX: In Which I Recount A Strange Dream I Recently Had

I am not a vivid dreamer, and what dreams I have usually evaporate from my memory within seconds of my awakening.

But there is something about dramatic life change that sharpens the memory. I know this because I recall events that occurred when I was two or three years old. Now, no one remembers things that happened at that age, right? Except I know I remember them because I know they happened in Thailand, where my father was stationed with the Army until I was three years old. And I know I'm not making these memories up because my mother has confirmed them, just as she has confirmed my description of the house and street where we lived and the maids we employed. Moving from Bangkok to Fort Knox, KY could fairly be described as dramatic--as well as a huge comedown (not my last, as it turns out)--and I'm sure that that's what burned those memories of Thailand into my brain.

So seeing that I've recently undergone a dramatic life change, it's probably no surprise that I am suddenly remembering dreams. My memory, like my emotional life, has received an unexpected squeeze to the nads, and it has been quickened.

When the dream begins, I am a contestant on a game show. The game is called Tom Waits or Cookie Monster? Contestants listen to songs, then try to guess whether the singer is Tom Waits or Cookie Monster. Intuitively, I understand that certain fundamental principles apply:

song includes profanity = Tom Waits
song includes improperly used pronouns = Cookie Monster
song mentions death = Tom Waits
song mentions cookies = Cookie Monster
song sounds like Kurt Weill = probably Tom Waits
song sounds like a children's song = probably Cookie Monster

Despite these insights, I lose. I am tripped up by a recording of Cookie Monster performing in The Threepenny Opera. For reasons I cannot divine, I fail to recognize the following context clues in Cookie Monster's performance of "Mack the Knife":

Oh the shark bite
With him teeth, dear
And him keep them
Pearly white
Me like cookie
Me like cookie
Me like cookie
Mack the Knife!!!

Suddenly the landscape changes, and I am standing on a street corner. A woman in a Hummer drives straight into the back of a delivery truck; she is talking on her cell phone and cannot be bothered to pay attention to her driving. She immediately backs up, turns hard left, and drives around the truck, speeding away from the accident. The truck driver takes off after her and a long high-speed chase ensues. Even though I am stationary and the vehicles drive a great distance, I somehow see the entire chain of events transpire. The trucker eventually passes and cuts off the woman in the Hummer, then gets out of his truck to berate her. The woman is indignant; she contends that she is not at fault, as though by adamantly insisting she is in the right she can somehow validate her preposterous argument. She reminds me of the current inhabitants of the White House.

The scene changes abruptly again, and I am standing in the sort of outdoor mall one sees in front of a great public construction; the place reminds me of the entryway to the Baltimore Aquarium. My future ex-wife appears. She is wearing heels so high that she stands over six feet tall, and she towers over me. "Why the heels?" I ask, and she responds, "If I make myself look good, the suitors will come." I am depressed to realize that she is already looking for a new mate. Immediately I am surrounded by old friends from high school and college, and I am torn. Part of me wants their sympathy, but an equal part is ashamed that my marriage has failed and that they now know of the failure. I turn to talk to my future ex-wife but she excuses herself. She says she is late for the estate sale of Beowulf's uncle, whose name is Lutefisk, and I realize that she would rather hang out with D&D nerds than with me. This too makes me feel bad.

I turn to greet my old friends but I suddenly awaken. My mouth is dry, my throat is sore, and I realize that I am awake in that anxious way that precludes falling back asleep any time soon. I am too tired to concentrate on a book, though, so I lie awake and stare at the ceiling, listening to my dogs snore and envying them. I hear their feet skittering and I realize they are dreaming of chasing small critters, and catching and eating them. One of them blows a tremendous fart of self-satisfaction; she has caught a rabbit, no doubt. I am slightly nauseated, but also a little hungry.

What does it all mean? That I should avoid rich foods and tall glasses of Calvados before bed, most likely.

So there you go.

7 comments:

Claire said...

What's the deal with music and weird dreams? If I have one more surreal nightmare that features a charming Richard Thompson soundtrack, I'm going to just give up on this whole sleeping thing. At least you get a Cookie Monster cameo.

Jeff Hart said...

i'm very impressed by the game show concept in your dream. but do your dreams rhyme?

i dreamed that neil young got the concept for his song "winterlong" from a tv jingle - of course this is all in the dream:

came off the road with my old band
saw a tv ad for a taco stand
said the others were closed, but they were wrong
we're open for your convenience all winterlong

more here:

http://nervousgroom.blogspot.com/2008/05/neil-young-taco-stands-and-lyrics-i.html

Anonymous said...

I hope it's not a disappointment that my comment is in relation to Cookie Monster rather than your obviously fevered brain, but he has a special place in my heart. When I was a young lad I owned Cookie Monster slippers. He appeared as the head to a fuzzy blue slipper, wearing a chef's hat. (what else would one wear if one were baking cookies?)

He also is the star of one of my all-time favorite Sesame Street musical performances, "The Ballad of Casey McPhee". As the conductor of a train loaded for bear with cookies, Cookie's journey is belayed by an avalanche. With temptation & hunger setting in, Cookie opts to eat his way out of the avalanche rather than devour the trainload.

Chorus: Through, through, through! He got that train through! He ate up all the avalanche!
Cookie: It mighty tasty too!

He also covered Al Jolsen & sang a beautifully primitive love song to cookies. That gem includes several of my favorite Cookie-isms: "Me heart beats like a hammer, And me stutter and me stammer" as well as "You made me love you - me didn't want to do it."

Quite the monster.

Geo said...

I never realized before this very moment just how much two of my favorite vocalists have in common. Thank you for showing me the Cookie-Tom connection. What a revelation. And what a dream!

Just for fun, I am subscribed to the PRVMinute podcast. Listened with delight to my first several fistfuls of them this evening as I waited for some ibuprofen to kick in . . . your songs were much more effective than the 800mg in getting my mind off some hard muscle cramps. Thanks again!

Good luck to you in your reluctant bachelorhood. I'm sorry about it.

Geo said...

P.S. You're in a beautiful spot. I grew up in (eastern) NC. Lucky man.

Anonymous said...

So, I don't know you and I don't know your soon-to-be ex-wife, but I find dreams interesting and thought I would post anyway. I hope that's not too weird. So here's what occurred to me as I read your post.
Have you considered that the woman in the Hummer represents your soon-to-be ex-wife? And her talking on the cell phone relates to her being preoccupied with her own "stuff" and therefore more distanced from you? And you are the driver of the truck, chasing her to hold her accountable?

This is mostly guessing, since I know nothing about your relationship. But in a way, I thought that might provide a "clean" perspective.

ps-Cookie Monster was/is my favorite muppet. I had a Cookie Monster puppet my father gave me when I was about 8 years old; I think he got it for a donation to PBS. My brother got Bert. Hahaha. I so got the better deal. But my brother was several years older and surely didn't care.

pps- good luck on your quest to remove "bachelor" from your title.

Reluctant Bachelor said...

anonymous--

Very interesting, and astute. I hadn't given it much thought other than that it was a marriage-related anxiety dream, but you're probably onto something there.